Thursday 8 December 2016

PC Leadership Campaign: Early Thoughts

I am very disappointed at the departure of Donna Kennedy Glans and Sandra Jansen from the race to lead the Progressive Conservative Party of Alberta, and by Jansen’s subsequent exit from the party altogether.   The exodus of our two women candidates places the party in a bad light in a very public way.  While my perception is that neither of these two was a front-runner, their presence was important as a representation of a big tent party.  

I think that this set of events is a reflection of a larger problem.  The candidates are each identified by supporters as representing a narrow and narrowing band of the political spectrum.  We need a culture within our party where we cherish disagreement and recognize that a respectful struggle for a path to represent all Albertans is a beautiful thing.  Can we have a party where people like Jason Kenney and Sandra Jansen (and everyone in between), with all of their supporters look each other in the eye and say, “Not only do I need you, but I want you in my political life?  We make each other better!”  

There is a lot of finger pointing going on, but I do not see any innocent parties.  Jansen made it clear that her PC Party could not include the right represented by Jason Kenney, and then went on to lament aloud how there was no room for her in the shrinking tent.  Kennedy Glans cited polarization within the party at the expense of a more centrist vision.  This seems to suggest a desire for a party with no room for Kenney on the right or Jansen on the left.  In truth, I did not see Kennedy Glans as more centrist than most of the other leadership candidates.  More concerning is that I did not see any of the six candidates saying clearly what I believe somebody has to stand up and say.  

Namely:
  • I want to lead a party that not only has room, but will prepare an honoured place at the table for each and every person in this leadership competition
  • I want to be elected, not so much because of the value of my own ideas, but because I believe that it is essential and lovely that we engage in hard conversations characterized by respectful disagreement for the sake of all Albertans
  • I believe that there is no contradiction between upholding the rights of parents, the rights of the LGBTQ community, the rights of the poor, the well-being of our economy, and the protection of the environment.  We don't need to unite Alberta.  We need a provincial government that reflects the unity that already gives us life, and gives us love, and gives us hope.  

I would gladly support a candidate who will agree to these assertions, without sacrificing kindness and politeness, and bring us all together in such a way that we can give those who left us a reason to come back.

As an added note, my thoughts are formed somewhat in the context of our riding (Rimbey - Rocky Mountain House - Sundre) where I don't yet see a realistic option to unseat our Wildrose MLA Jason Nixon; who is quite popular and perceived to be doing a good job.  The party I want is one where country folk don't feel the Wildrose party is the only party to represent their interests.  If I added another bullet (above) it would be that my preferred candidate would do all in his power to love them and win their love in return.

Going forward I will try to determine which candidate to support based on these assertions.  I have not ruled anyone out.  Frankly, I am experiencing a lot of pressure from party members to "dislike" Jason Kenney.  But the truth is, he is the only one who phoned me to ask for my advice.  I don't know the extent to which he is accepting my guidance, but I also don't think he's the devil.  I think he is simply a lot more pragmatic (Machiavellian) than I would be.  

With a heavy sigh I sign off.

No comments:

Post a Comment